Saturday, September 17, 2016

First Week Of Knowledge

September 17th, 2016
It is the end of the first week of classes of my first semester of college. What have I learned? I don't feel like I learned so much about business but more so about life lessons. I watched a video of a speaker named Guy Kawasaki that made me think. He said not to go into things that are popular now but into something you love to do. If you do something you don't enjoy just for the money you will grow miserable and hate your job. Kawasaki then went on to say that his parents wanted him to be a lawyer so he went to law school and dropped out in ten days because he hated it. He said he considered himself lucky because some people go to law school for two years, then take the bar exam, and then twenty years later, they realize that that isn't what they wanted to do and he was lucky he figured that out in ten days. That really struck a chord with me and made me think," Do I really want to be in business and maybe open one myself?" I don't really know? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it won't hurt to have this extra knowledge under my belt. Another thing we read in class called "The Start-up Of You" by Reid Hoffman and Ben Casnocha, made me think as well. There was a section in there about planning. It said how you should have a plan A, plan B, and plan Z. The plan Z is what really caught my attention. So plan A is what your typical plan A would be with coming up with your main goal that you want to achieve. Plan B is the fall back plan. You do plan B if plan A doesn't work out or it helps you achieve your goal in some faster way. Plan Z, which you normally don't hear, is your fall back plan. This is the plan you do when all of your plans fail and you have nothing left, when you need to completely start over from the beginning. As I was reading it thought about whether I had a plan Z or not. I never really thought of myself failing before, so in the next few weeks I guess I will think of a plan Z and later report on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment